Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: sauce
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- In a heavy saucepan set over medium-high heat, cook the onion with the butter just until the onions are softened.
- Stir in the flour.
- Cook and stir the roux for about 3 minutes.
- Add the milk in a steady stream, whisking steadily until the sauce smooths out.
- Add the salt.
- Simmer the sauce for about 10 minutes, or until it is thickened to the consistency you desire.
- Sauce can be kept for several days, refrigerated.
- Cover the surface with a buttered round of parchment paper to prevent a skim from forming.