Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: sauce
Serves: about 4 cups of sauce. Scale up in direct proportion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- 7 cups canned plum tomatoes, crushed by hand, juices drained
- 2 teaspoons each dried oregano and basil
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large heavy saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat for
- Add the onion and garlic.
- Cook and stir for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, oregano and basil.
- Cook the sauce at a steady simmer for 20-25 minutes or until it has reduced slightly and shows no signs of being watery.
- Add the sugar.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Use at once for pasta. Or let cool for later use on pizza and pasta. Can be held in the cooler, covered, for 4-5 days.
- By adding 3 tablespoons of chopped fresh, flat-leaf parsley (or fresh basil) while the sauce is simmering, you will create a sauce with a slightly different flavor.
- Add crushed red pepper flakes or hot sauce to create a spicy arrabbiata variation.