Mushroom Pizza Sauce
Courtesy of Michel Arvblom, World Pizza Champions, Sweden “To be unique you have to be different than everyone else. Instead of putting seasonal toppings on the pizza, think about a pizza sauce base using seasonal ingredients. This will make people and the media talk about your pizza shop.” — Michel Arvblom
Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: sauces
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup dry red wine
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- Sauté mushrooms in butter and oil for 3 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add red wine and simmer for a few minutes.
- Add beef broth and simmer to reduce a bit, about 5 minutes.
- Combine flour and cold water and whisk until smooth.
- Stir into the mushrooms until well blended.
- Season, to taste, and simmer for about 1 minute, until thickened. If too thick, add a little more broth.
- Add parsley and salt and pepper, to taste.
- Makes about 1½ to 2 cups.
- When done cooking, use a blender to make the sauce smooth for a perfect pizza sauce.