Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: Sauces
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large medium onion, diced
- 6 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 3 tablespoons capers, drained
- 1½ tablespoons anchovy paste
- 3 cups coarse chopped roasted tomatoes
- ½ cup pitted black olives, halved
- ½ cup Kalamata olives, pitted and halved
- A half handful of fresh herbs (torn basil, oregano and thyme)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a large pan with the olive oil.
- Start to sweat the onions then add the garlic. (Tip: adding your herbs — whether fresh or dry — at this point really brings out their maximum flavor.)
- Sauté for 2 minutes and then add the rest of the ingredients. Bring to and let simmer for just 5 minutes.
- For more of a tomato sauce version add 12 ounces of tomato sauce or purée.