Roman Roasted Pepper Sauce
Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: sauce
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped fine
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 7 anchovy filets
- 3 to 4 bell peppers, tri color cut into strips
- 3 green bell peppers, cut into strips
- 1 cup green olives
- Juice of one lemon
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ½ cup chopped Italian flat leaf parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat half of the oil in a medium heated pan and add the garlic and anchovies. Watch for the garlic to cook but not brown.
- Take a wooden spoon and smash the garlic and anchovies until they become a paste.
- Add the peppers, olives and onions and sauté until the peppers are just barely tender and the onions are limp.
- Let cool for 5 minutes as you mix the remaining oil, lemon juice, oregano, salt and pepper and parsley in a bowl to form a dressing.
- Pour over the pepper mixture and let cool. This is best if kept under refrigeration for at least one day to let flavors meld.
- When ready, this mix can be put on pizzas after the oven or tossed with pasta anytime. I’ve even taken an immersion blender and mixed this up to make a pizza sauce. Exquisite!