Sicilian Tomato Sauce
Author: Pizza Today
Recipe type: sauce
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 cups canned plum tomatoes, juices reserved
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
- Warm the olive oil in a medium-sized pot for one minute over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook until tender.
- Add the crushed garlic and cook for 1 minute more.
- Add the tomatoes to the pot, crushing with the back of a spoon.
- Add the fresh herbs and parsley.
- Cook for about 5 min., crushing the tomatoes once more.
- Add the reserved tomato juices.
- Cook at a steady simmer for about 20 min., or until about half the liquid has evaporated.